Thursday, August 2, 2007

Teaching about Energy

In class today, my clique and I were discussing last week's lesson in Energy. I guess you can say that these are the students who are more Traditional, coming to Massage Therapy to learn to work muscles and fascia, as opposed to approaching it from a Spiritual perspective... No prior experience working with, or even consciously exploring someone else's Energy. They complained of feeling foolish after being told to experience their partner's Energy, having no idea what to do, "just standing there" with their arms over another student waiting until the 5 minutes have gone by...

All the while, I sit there smiling and listening, cause I have to say, it's some of my favorite time in class. Admittedly, I am spoiled, growing up in my family; Energy and such metaphysical discourse is as natural as dissecting Anderson Cooper or the weather.

...So how would one go about "teaching" Energy?

My classmates had wanted our instructor to "say something about it," instead of shoving them into an experience. But what would you say? How do you describe Red to someone who's never seen it before? Two individuals who are aware can discuss it for hours and hours and still have so much to say, and never say it all. How could you even begin a discussion with an individual who is then closed to this Energy experience? Can pushing them into experience be effective? Or will it more often than not just discourage and drive away, adding to a negative and/or "flaky" stereotype?

Hmm.... I'll let you know how this develops.

No comments: